
Grade: 7th
How we hooked up: We both really liked each other. We'd always hung out at church function and he was really funny. We went to a church Halloween dance and that's where he asked me. We weren't really dancing together because no 13 year olds actually dance. I'd hang out with my friends along side the wall and he hung out with his. I was in the hall at one point and he asked me to walk with him. Then he finally asked if I would dance with him but we were in the church chapel and not the gym (where the dance floor is). So we started dancing in the chapel (we could still hear the music), only to find out that Jared Short was hiding behind the piano!!! So we stopped dancing because the embarrassment was so overwhelming. On the ride home Ryan held my hand in the car and we were officially BF & GF from that point on.
Length of relationship: 3-4 months
A note from him (exact spelling and grammar):
Emily,
How are you sorry I didn't write Back I guess I didn't read it very well sorry anyway. Well I'm in a stupid class but I like the teacher Mr. Fenske hes a stud. Yes I'm going to the sprague game. I wouldn't miss it for the world. Cool! So how are you! Tell me! Thats ok. That you didn't have to talk to me. We're talking about Latin America. It sucks bad. I have sewing next I think sewing cool! its 12:32. I went to the volly ball game to. How come we didn't see each other? Tom said you & Jacob were flurting really good. But don't tell him I told you! Ok! But I don't care if you dump me for him or anyone else.
Love always, Ryan H.
The break up: Eventually my mom found out we were going out and put the pressure on me to ditch Ryan (she clearly was not a fan). But that's not what caused the break up. Ryan was very needy and always putting himself down (case in point- see the above note). I have at least 20 notes from him and all of them say sorry for some reason or another. In the end, the 3-4 months was a long relationship and I was done. Plus, Michelle Ohleiser totally wanted to date him.
Memorable moment: Ryan didn't want to break up. He spent hours writing me this long note about why we should still be together. We are talking like 10-12 pages long. To make the situation even sadder, he had made a pink envelope for the note. It was pink card stock, tri-folded, and embossed (yes embossed) with my name on the outside. Really, I should just scan a it so you can get the whole picture, but I'm in NYC and can't. Back to the memory, He has written this long lovey-dovey note and spent hours making the envelop. So you think he'd present this package to me in a sweet manner or at least have someone deliver it for him. No, not so, not in the least, this was the worst note pass in all my history of note passing. This is how the note passing went down. I was sitting on the benches at the entrance of Judson waiting for a ride home. Ryan comes walking by, ready to exit the doors. He yells at me, at the top of his lungs and says "here, take this" likes he's about to throw a grenade at me. Then he throws the pink embossed note my direction and runs out the door. The delivery was so rude I thought the note would be too, but it was very nice. . . we did NOT get back together.
*Side note: Sorry for the crappy picture. It's from the yearbook, I clearly remember slathering on the 2$ lipstick and kissing all the picture of my crushes/boyfriends. That is why it looks like Ryan is wearing a red veil, it's my lipstick kiss.
5 days to go!

Em, I clicked on your blog and I first have to thanks you for the NSync serenade while I leave a comment...takes me back to Rice-Eccles a while back...that was a crazy fun time. Anyway, I am really enjoying your look back at all the boyf memories from your early years...you have a great memory! Can't wait to hear how the reunion turned out!
ReplyDeleteThis, Em...this is just sad. Poor, poor Ryan. However, hopefully it means he's a very sensitive soul and has made a grown-up recipient of the pink embossed card a very happy and loved lady!!
ReplyDeleteEmily- I am LOVING your posts about past boyfriends! They are so so funny, espcially because I know all these guys. I have to make sure Jacob is reading these posts . . . I know he'll die laughing!
ReplyDeleteHope NYC is awesome!
I totally remember you and ryan dating...did you know Janae has a blog? she's on Crystal Marley's...check it out!
ReplyDeleteFunny thing is...I really don't remember Ryan, I am really good friends now with his older bro. Shane. We live in the same neighborhood and go to the same ward.
ReplyDeleteSmall World!!!
I enjoy reading about your past boyfriends. It has me thinking about my past crushes...maybe I'll have to post them in honor of the reunion as well.
Excuse me?! I wanted to date HIM?! NOOOOO WAYYYY! He was nice an all but I totally DO NOT ever remember liking him.
ReplyDelete(That was my best 14 year old response. Seriously, I don't remember that at all!) :)