We are leaving for New York in less than a week and I thought I'd ask a favor of you. If you've been to New York what did you do, what did you see, and where did you go? What was worth seeing and what was all talk? If you could spend 3-5 hours in the BIG APPLE what would you do? The more advice you can give me the better. ThanksWednesday, June 25, 2008
NYC advice
We are leaving for New York in less than a week and I thought I'd ask a favor of you. If you've been to New York what did you do, what did you see, and where did you go? What was worth seeing and what was all talk? If you could spend 3-5 hours in the BIG APPLE what would you do? The more advice you can give me the better. Thanks
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

you need some comments here!! i'm excited to see what people recommend, but if you need more input, let us know. oh, one off the top of my head is the statue of liberty. we went there a few years ago, and although its patriotic and amazing, it's a bit overrated. i think it's still off-limits for going to the top, so basically you pay to take a ferry over and go to the gift shop. much better to take the staten island ferry which is FREE and it goes right by. you can get some pretty good pics too, especially if you have a good camera. we went towards sunset one time and it was beautiful coming back to battery park with the sun setting. and on the topic of the empire state bldg we didn't go until just recently. i thought it would be dumb, which is why we'd never gone. but at night it is incredible. although the $16 or whatever it is per person is slightly annoying. anyhow, i could go on and on but i will cork it so someone else can have a say. we'll come up with some things if you need more ideas when you get here. so excited!!
ReplyDeletewow, Having lived in CT for almost 4 years I have to say I was in NY a lot. The statue of liberty is cool to see, not so much to pay for the ferry to a gift shop (I completely agree with the previous comment) Rockefeller center is a must see...just so you can say you've seen it.. plus it's free and right next to the Today show. Letterman is fun if you are willing to get up early to get tickets. MOMA is amazing but not open on Mondays and again, you have to get there REAL early so you as not to wait in line forever!!! the carnagie deli is really good and the food is huge, so sharing is great. Also, if you want to go to a cool place for a romantic dinner and 99% of the time see someone famous... the Waverly Inn. The don't take reservations and look like a little hole in the wall but it's really a cool place. OK I am sorry for taking up so much space... if you want more ideas or suggestions feel free to email me. I am so jealous. I was just back in March for work and want to go back soon!!!
ReplyDeleteI heart NYC. Every single time I go I want to move there. Seriously.
ReplyDeleteSo anyway...I would first suggest Central Park. There are so many different things you can do there and even just to walk around and get different perspectives of the city is cool. You can also take a horse carriage ride around, which is a NYC-ish thing to do, though I've never done it myself. There's also bike cabbies that will cart you around town.
I'd hit up Rockefeller Center, even if it's for no other reason than to say you've been to where they put up the big tree at Christmastime and where they have the Friday concerts in the city during the summer. If you get there verrrrry early on a weekday (probably 5am or before), you can stand in the crowd outside the Today Show.
I know you love CHOCOLATE, so a good place to go would be Serendipity 3 - it's at 225 E 60th St.
The energy of Times Square is always fun...just very tourist-y. I'm not sure whether that matters to you or not; I think I'm a jaded northeastern resident now and I usually try to move through there as quickly as I can, but it is a pretty awe-inspiring place!
I also love the SoHo/Greenwich Village area downtown, just to walk around in and pop into the little shops and little restaurants to eat. For good Italian, definitely go to Little Italy. Promise me that no matter what, you will not eat in any restaurant you could eat in anywhere other than NYC. For a romantic dinner, there's a place called Candela that is lit inside entirely by candles. It's near Union Square, I think...but I'm sure you could google it if you're interested.
Make sure you take the subway around so you experience that (but not after midnight - then take a cab), eat at a corner diner, get a bagel at an H & H Bagel, get pizza from anyplace (I happen to love the ziti pizza at a place on the corner of East 33rd & 3rd Ave, but there are a million places you can go!), and be assertive with the location you want the cabbie to take you whenever you get in a cab. When you get in the cab, you can just state the corner you want to go to...i.e. 7th Street & 6th Avenue would be "7th & 6th," though it never hurts to state "street & avenue" because you could end up in a totally different part of town (i.e. 7th Avenue & 6th Street) if they take you for a sucker/tourist who they can drive around & get paid for their "mistake". Avenues run up & down Manhattan; streets run east-west. The distance between avenues is much longer than the distance between streets, just for reference :-) 5th Avenue is the dividing line between east & west - numbered avenues lower than 5th are east; higher than 5th are west.
Have a BLAST and let me know if I can help out anymore...can't wait to hear all about it at the reunion!
OH YEAH - Brad and I also love the Brooklyn Bridge, which you can walk across from Manhattan on the east side...and South Street Seaport, also on the east side.
ReplyDeleteThere are just so many things I love!!!
EMily- I've been twice and did different things both times. If you want to get knockoff handbags, cologne etc. . . you have to go to Canal Street/China town area- way way fun and just talk them down to get a great deal! Also since you're on that side you could go to battery park, statue of liberty, Ground Zero . . . All the above suggestions are really fun too! Central park is great . . . so much to see and you can get some great views of the city! Have FUN!!
ReplyDeleteWhen we went to NYC, we had the kids with us so our focus was a little different - they loved the Times Square Toys R Us (still fun as an adult) and, of course, Jackson LOVED the Natural History Museum. He could've spent days there. We loved Central Park and the zoo. The Sept 11 Memorial is very moving and definitely worth seeing (free and at a subway station). Have a great time!
ReplyDeleteMetropolitan Mueseum - after art, go to the gift shop and buy a black tote. so cute. Also, you don't really have to pay. They act like you do, but just go through the turnstiles. It's a donation thing. Donate if you like. or not
ReplyDeleteMormon Temple
Times square, nbc studio, letterman, abc studio. You can get tickets to tv shows. It's fun.
The very very very best thing is PLAYS. DO NOT LEAVE WITHOUT SEEING PLAYS. The theater is amazing. Even if you don't like musicals, you will love them in New York. You can get discount tickets in tents at different locations around the city. Avoid scalpers, some rip you off.
I wish I was going with......