The other day I placed an ad on craigslist for an apartment for rent. The ad that I placed had great pictures with all the details you could ever want. A couple of hours after placing the ad I get this email (I've placed * to hide this individuals true identity):
I have a new email address!
You can now email me at: b**j****55@yahoo.com
Hello,I need a room for my daughter, please get back to me with details.
Thanks.J****.
- B** J*****
So, I thought the email was a little strange but figured this guy was trying to get information on a ton of ads and didn't want to ask specific questions. He just made a mass email and sent it to a bunch of apartment complexes. So I respond to his email and basically give him a few facts (that are already in the ad) and tell him to refer back to the ad for more info, or to just call me.
The next day I get this email:
Hello,
Thanks so much for your email and its quite understanding.MY DAUGHTER WILL BE ARRIVING ON THE 5th of March i have gone thru the advert one more time and everything seems to be okay.The house details,location and location advantage seems okay by me....I would like to have the room.I would like you to know that i wont be able to come over to view the room due to my present location but every other things looks good.
This is a little more about her.She is 22 yrs old very nice,caring,honest,kind responsible,hard-working clean,reliable and social.She like watching Movies,swimming and reading too....she is social, very passionate and i like to share ideas with others.She neither drink nor smoke,but dont mind living with those that do them. Concerning payment,I have contacted my client and he promised he will make out payment to you,he will be paying you in excess,cos he's taking care of my daughters accommodation and travelling fees to the appartment location.He will be paying you $3,900.
As soon as you get the cheCK,pls deduct the cost of the room for 1 months plus any deposit and send the remaining balance, which would be for her flight expenses and her living allowance for the short period, The balance should be sent to her traveling agent whose information i would give to you as soon as you recieve payment.
I want you to see this as a favour you'll be willing to do for a tenant i can compensate you an amount of $50 extra for the help you will be rendering. As soon as she get there,i will make preparations for the remaining months, including all bills. Pls i want you to do this for me in good faith.if you comply,do not hesitate to provide me with these information.
NAME YOU WANT THE PAYMENT TO BE WRITTEN ON:ADDRESS YOU WANT THE PAYMENT SENT TOO:PHONE NUMBER:(Home,Work and Cell):
I would be very glad if you can be of a helping hand and hope to read back from you soonest .
Best Regards.
Note: That my daugther is just wanting to apply for a post graduate degree programme once she gets to U.S but all we need now is just her accommodation and i promise to pay everything as a father on her behalf..Pls do get back to me with your details if my payment terms is okay by you and as for the signing of contract my daugther will do that as soon as she arrived to U.S. Please feel free to call me on +44*** 304 **79
Okay, so even after reading the first two lines you know that something just isn't right. And as you continue to read on you get confused by his wording and you wonder if you missed some vital information along the way. Then it all adds up to be a money scam and this guy is totally wasting my time. I mean, what kind of person would fall for this crap.
This guy is an idiot and I don't know why I'm trying to conceal his identity with the * but what's done is done. Just thought I'd share how crazy and cruel the world is becoming.
On a happier note, Bailey gave me a great big hug this morning and said "you're the best mommy, I love you!". Now that put a smile on my face.
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Seriously, that was the most unbelievable email EVER. The very sad thing is that someone will probably fall for it. This WORLD is crazy...
ReplyDeleteGo for it! Don't you need the $50?! Just kidding. I don't even know where people get the energy for this kind of crap. Pardon my french. Hope you find a good renter soon!
ReplyDeleteNightmare!! oh the joys of the job! hopefully you do find a good tenant- I'm in need of one right now too.
ReplyDeleteHoly cow that is amazing! The things people think of....weird!
ReplyDeletei trust no one to begin with.. first i thought.. ok, he lives in asia - then i thought.. mail order bride? i mean.. yes. i knew a guy n SALEM that had one! but come on!!! "in good faith", my friggin BUTT!
ReplyDeleteHAHAHAHA! That is hilariously, ridiculously messed up. haha. The best part is at the end when he says "Thanks so much for your email and its quite understanding." What does that mean? Nothing in that email made logical sense. what a creep!
ReplyDeletesorry not at the end, at the beginning. Man that guy is messing with my head.
ReplyDeleteThis same thing just happened to our friends. He went ahead and sent something to the address- it wasn't money though.
ReplyDeleteWhat the crazyness! I can't believe how much time and effort some people put into these scams. At least it gave you a good blogging story, right?
ReplyDeletecreepy! sorry about the video of grey:) i'm glad someone got a kick out of it. your girls are super cute!
ReplyDeleteEm, I had a similar weirdness happen when I emailed a guy about a great-looking deal on a used Accord as we were looking for cars a few weeks ago. He wrote me back this crazy email about how he was in the military in Germany and his wife had recently moved over there, but that the taxes to register the car were too high. The only way to get out of the situation was to have an Army transport plane bring the vehicle back to the U.S. to sell it here. Basically you wired money to him via PayPal or something and then he would "send" the car. Something seemed fishy so I googled "Military car selling scam" and it totally came up - not only that, but it's basically a form letter that the scammers change certain details about - the same basic email I received was posted on this site. CREEPY!!
ReplyDelete