Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Race Day is fast approaching . . .

I've got 4 days until I run in my first Marathon!!!
My training has been great and I'm getting really excited for the big race day!
My longest training run was 20.4 miles and I did that in under 3 hours. After looking at my "mileage" I realized that I ran over 200 miles in 30 days (March 16th-April 16th). It seems crazy even to me now. 
I've got some goals for this race and the more people I tell the more accountable I'll be to those goals. So my "okay" goal is to finish in under 4 hours. My "really good" goal is to finish under 3:50. And my "fantastic/Amazing" goal is to finish under 3:40, that's an 8:24 mile pace. If I reach this goal I will BQ (Boston Qualify), and every racer wants to qualify for the Boston Marathon. I've run an 8:24 pace and faster for several miles (read 6-8) but never for a super long distance. 
My strategy for the race is to run with the 3:40 pace leader/group for as long as I can. If I start to get tired or realize that I'm crazy for trying to sustain that pace I'll back off and slow down. And then I'll work towards my 3:50 time goal. 

I've never been in a race this big. Well, the Hood to Coast relay race is big but you don't have 8 thousand people taking off at the same time. It should be really fun. 

If you want you can follow me during the race and see how I do/finish.
Option 1: Check out the race web page and enter my BIB# 1189. 
Option 2: Follow me on my Facebook page throughout the morning. 

On FB updates will be posted when I pass the start, 10K (6.1 miles), 13.1 miles, 20 miles, and the FINISH LINE. 

The race is this Sunday May 1st. 
It starts at 7am (PST) and I should be done before 11am.

Let me know if you're going to follow me during the race. So then when I'm burnt out at mile marker 22 I can think, "oh, (insert your name here) is watching my time I better pick it up!" It'll be good motivation for me. 

WISH ME LUCK!
I'm going to need it

5 comments:

  1. I'm totally going to check on you!! I remember the anxious feeling in the days leading up to the big race. You can do it Em!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to do great! I am so impressed. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you! Go get em, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You rock! Tom and I will be cheering for you!! (as we sit in our pjs on Sunday morning, that is!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Luck!!! I will be following you for sure since I am 3 hours later and don't have to wake up at 7:) You're seriously an animal. I hope I can race like you one day!

    ReplyDelete