Thursday, June 18, 2009

Life as an Apartment Manager

Today, I had a slow start. I was still in my PJ's at 10 in the morning. I had finally gathered up the energy to shower and start my day. While bathing my work phone rings, its Mr. new tenet, I don't answer it (I'm busy).
This tenet had called last night after my "work hours" and I didn't answer it then either. You see, I tend to baby my new tenets and make sure they are completely happy with their new apartment. This babying includes answering their phone calls whenever they call. I decided last night that it was time for them to get with the program and they'd just have to leave a message, then I'd return their call the next day. Mr. new tenets message said "hey it's _______ call me", clearly this is not an emergency.
So they called while I'm in the shower this morning and no message. Clearly something is wrong so I decide to call them back when I'm dressed (before my hours start). But that would not be soon enough. 10 minutes later I've got a towel wrapped around me and am applying 3 different lotions to my face when there is a loud knock at the door. I'm not expecting anyone, it must be said tenet. I tell the girls to be quiet, maybe he'll think I'm gone and leave. Just in case I quickly finish with my lotions and start getting dressed. To my surprise Bailey had disappeared and I hear a mans voice at the door. Oh crap, Bailey has unlocked the door and let Mr. new tenet in. He clearly thinks I'm just around the corner and has come it. But I'm half naked in my closet.
To make matters worse if you stand in the entry way and look down our very long hall, if all the doors are open, you can see straight into the master closet. Just my luck all the doors are open and as I'm swinging the master closet door shut Mr. new tenet has popped his head around the corner to see where I am at. We made eye contact, the door was 95% closed and I was jumping out of eye sight just in case. I yell something to the effect of "I'll be there in a second", I proceed to put on my outfit from yesterday (it was on the floor), got dressed and dealt with the business at hand.
His garbage disposal wasn't working . . . could you leave a message next time!

7 comments:

  1. i would die! and it was all about a freakin' GARBAGE DISPOSAL?!! wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classic. First item of business: install a secondary door lock out of reach so that Bailey cannot let anyone in. Second item of business: Stick to your business hours! The tenants will totally take advantage. Especially if you do it from the beginning.
    And I am so glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. It is a good gig while it suits it's purpose but when you are done, you will be so glad it's over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you don't mind an unsolicited comment from a passer by - WOW! I also hope you made it very clear to him that you have business hours for a reason. Good luck otherwise! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree about the secondary lock that you need to install very high up for adult use. That was a must when I was managing. My kiddos tried to let everyone in. And you totally need to keep to your office hours or every tenant will pester you all the time, trust me I learned that lesson the hard way. What a hilarious story to add to your apartment managing journal :~).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! I hate that! One of our maintenance guys comes and knocks on my door early sometimes and I do admit to cracking the door open when in a towel. Being an apartment manager has strong similarity to being a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can't help the fact that some people will always be dependent on others, not patient, and have no clue as to why mothers don't answer the door. Yeah we just sit back, watch chick flicks in our bedrooms, and have no problem letting our little children open the door for complete strangers. Hello!!!! At least it makes for a funny story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Childproofing might be a good idea in home #11.... When people knock on our door, Chase likes to knock back. Not great when I'm trying to pretend like I'm not home. And now there is a mail slot in the office door and I'm afraid people will lift the flap to peek in. No more hiding! :)

    ReplyDelete