I have been SUPER BUSY!
Let me give you the run down of my busy work-related life. As most of you know I'm now an apartment manager, somewhere in Oregon. We live in a supper nice place and the job has been pretty easy. Over the last couple of months the company I work for, we'll call it " the P group", has come under financial strain (what real estate company hasn't). With the finances being stretches so were my paychecks. Now my paycheck wasn't much but when that starts coming late you know there are other problems, bigger problems, in the works.
One Saturday Robert and I were at the farmers market in our neighborhood and noticed that this new apartment building (my new competition) was almost finished being built. They had a table out and were showing one finished apartment, so I asked them if they had a manager lined up and no one knew. Robert and I decided that it couldn't hurt to apply and just get my feelers out. Turns out that this company, we'll call it "Cola" has it's corporate office in my neighborhood too. So on Tuesday I put the girls in the stroller and walked my resume into their office. The Cola company was very surprised that I was applying because I have such a nice set up at my current apartment but they knew that the P group was financial hurting as well. Just my luck that were interviewing for the apartment manager position. I was scheduled to meet with the Cola company on Thursday.
By this point things with the P group were getting pretty bad. All the investors of the building got together and decided they didn't like the decisions my boss was making and they voted him out of his position as property manager. After talking with my boss from the P group on Thursday morning he told me he was no longer my boss and I no longer worked for his company. I had been terminated or fired, but under good circumstances. A new man, lets call him "Chuck" was to take over the property managers positions and he might want to keep me as apartment manager or he might not.
20 minutes later I'm walking to my job interview with the Cola company. I call my mom and say "Mom, don't freak out. I just need you to say a little prayer for me right now. I've just been fired and might have to move out of my apartment in 3 days time. But the new boss, Chuck, might want me to stay. And I'm on my way right now to interview for a new job. So say a prayer that I get to keep my current job and that I will get offered this new one as well." She did not like this conversation but I didn't have time to talk.
The interview at the Cola company went very well. It was an interview and a focus group at the same time, since I'm this new buildings direct competition they had a lot of questions about who was renting from me, what did the people really like about living in this location, and what did they want that my building doesn't have. An hour later I felt really good about the whole thing.
The next day, Friday, Chuck flew into town. I've been at kinkos for three hours copying leases and any other document he would like to have. I spend five hours with Chuck showing him the building, talking about my old boss from the P group and the building. I give him keys, told him about all the work that needs to be done, and about the vendors. He is very impressed with my willingness to share information. But the way I see it, this day is just one long interview. I want Chuck to keep me as apartment manager. I need to make him happy and if I don't give him all this stuff he'll just get it after he kicks me out. It's in my best interest to be nice. After spending most of the day with him he says he'll call me on Monday to say if I get to keep my job or not.
This is all over Memorial day weekend (which we spend at the property), I get home Monday night and there is no word from Chuck. I call him on Tuesday and he offers me the job, the job I already had, the job I get to keep. I am very thankful. After talking to him I call the Cola company to see if they are doing second interview for the new building. They call me back an hour later for a second interview.
Wednesday morning I'm walking to the Cola company and this interview goes just as well. I'm told that I am a prime candidate for the position and they are going to make a decision by Thursday morning. At 3 pm I get a phone call that I've got the job at the new building if I want it. Again, I am so grateful. With everything that is going on in the economy I've just been offered a new job and got to keep my current one. I'm in total shock, I haven't been a manager that long, but I'm good at my job. Technically, the Cola company needs someone to fill up their new building and I've been filling up apartments just like theirs in the same location for the last 8 months. I was the perfect fit.
I then called Chuck and gave him my notice. Things with the Cola company are stable and I will have a lot of support, which in turn will make my job easier. So now I'm getting everything organized at my current building and packing my apartment. We will be moving in 2-3 weeks time.
After this 10 day hiatus and a lot of prayers things turned out great. I feel extremely blessed and know that it's because of my Heavenly Father that I have been given so much.
But with the changes my work load has increased and left me very little free time. I will do my best to update you on our going ons. So here's to more frequent posts.

emily, that's nuts. but we're so glad that you don't have to worry about missing paychecks now! can't wait to see pics of the new place :)
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you've been dealing with so much stress, but am so glad that you were offered both positions! "Cola" company is lucky to have you. I'm remembering all of your crazy organized files for our cohort semester right now! Anyone that organized should be in high demand!
ReplyDeleteWow. Glad you got the job you wanted. Hope it all goes well for you!
ReplyDelete